Licence information

If you work in or represent a school or a schools music service, a higher education institution, or you are involved with an amateur choir in the UK, where copies are made of printed music then you need to be licensed under one of the PMLL‘s licensing schemes. The primary licensing scheme operated by PMLL is the Schools Printed Music Licence and trial licensing schemes are also operated for music services, institutions of higher education and amateur choirs.


Most schools in the UK are covered by the Schools Printed Music Licence, though there are regional variations throughout the UK. Find out more and apply here.


Find out how to obtain a licence to copy music for your choir.


Music Services operating in schools need to ensure their activity is correctly licensed. Our trial Music Service Licence launched in April 2020. 

Higher education institutions

On 1 August 2020 PMLL launched a trial licence for Higher Education Institutions.